As a Foreign Student

As a Foreign Student, How Do I Become a U.S. CPA?


Each country has separate steps and rules to become a certified public accountant. Similarly, in the USA, there are specific steps an international student can take to become a CPA. However, those who are international students or have received foreign education but want to become a CPA in the U.S can become one by following certain steps.

If you are wondering how to become an accountant in the USA, keep reading this guide. It is surprisingly straightforward since all you need to do is take an exam and fill out an application. However, to be eligible for the exam, you must get your educational documents and credentials evaluated first. Let’s take a closer look at all of this.

Why Become a CPA in the U.S?

Before we discuss how to become a certified public accountant in the country, it would be worthwhile to discuss why this has become such a popular field. A CPA is an emerging field that has been attracting a lot of international attention.

When you become a CPA, it means that you can lend your accounting skills to the general public. For this reason, this is also considered to be quite a lucrative job. International students studying accounting should seriously consider a CPA in the US as it can open many doors for them and lead to higher salaries.

Eligibility Requirements to Become a CPA

If you are an international student who wishes to work in the U.S as a certified public accountant, you should know about the eligibility requirements. However, these requirements vary according to the State, which means that prospective individuals should do research into the specific State they wish to work in.

In most cases, individuals will need advanced and higher studies in the accounting field to be eligible to give a CPA exam in the US. Depending on the State, you will also be required to work in the field for at least two years. Besides this, international students should also be aware of federal and State laws.

However, international students who want to pursue higher education in accounting in the U.S may also be eligible to come to the country, study, and then give the exam.

Academic Credential Evaluation

Besides this, international students should also get their academic and professional documents analyzed by an organization. This is done to check the authenticity of the documents and to see if they compare to U.S standards.

A foreign transcript evaluation for CPA should be done by a recognized and established organization with tons of experience. It is essential to check whether the company works with the board in the specific State you wish to be employed. This is because, otherwise, the board will not recognize or accept the credential report they receive from the company.

You can visit the company’s website to see if they work with the State board of your preference. You should also ensure that the company is legitimate and reliable by checking to see if it has been accredited by or affiliated with other organizations, such as the NACES.

Giving the CPA Exam

The CPA exam is an extensive and thorough exam that is by no means easy. To give the exam, international students should visit the National Association of State Board of Accounting website to begin the application process. Once they do, they must contact their specific U.S jurisdiction to get application material.

They will then have to submit their credential report and other documents. Once done, international students will have to pay the fee. Once you are found to be eligible and have cleared the application process, you can schedule your CPA exam.

They can give this exam in the US or at one of their international testing locations. However, before giving the exam, it is recommended that international students extensively prepare for it and give a review.

Let ERES Help You Become a CPA in the U.S

Becoming a certified public accountant is time-consuming and requires a lot of effort. This is why international students who are wondering how to become certified accountants in the U.S should do plenty of research on this process and start early.

The first step is to choose the specific State you wish to be employed in and then check their requirements. Once done, get your educational documents evaluated and fill out the application. You can schedule your CPA exam when you are cleared for the application and have paid the fee.

If you need your documents evaluated, look no further than ERES. We work with numerous CPA boards and are one of the best credential evaluation services out there. For more information on our process, visit our website and get in touch today.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *